7.21.2008

Guatemala Loves Lesbians!

Ok, that is probably just blatantly untrue. But, so far, Guatemala seems fond of this odd specimin of sapphic gringa. In some ways this is the first time that I have really come out to people in the direct "I have a novia" kind of way. My maestro, Roberto, as well as a few other folks it´s come up with have been somewhat curiously delighted. None of them seem to have ever been aware of a lesbian in their midst before. I´m enjoying it. Roberto seems intent on being overtly accepting. Last week he told me that he was also a lesbian because of his significant affection for women. Though his jokes are frequently problematic and he´s not quite able to understand why they´re sexist when they´re "only a joke," I appreciate that he´s trying. He delights in using Lion in sentance examples and asking questions about when she´s getting here. Marcos was his personal brand of energetic and relaxed about the whole thing. He reported later to DHM that I was his first, and like a pro she corrected him, "first you who knew about." She also took him to task later for his off-hand comment that he didn´t like it when women spoke. Boy did I enjoy watching himself try to dig himself out of the "but women are delicate" hole. Tee-hee! And Julio! Well done, despite his quite Catholic ways! He even copped to know some gay dudes at his Universidad.

Lion and Turtle should be here in less than an hour. I can´t wait. I have received some news related to the impending doom that is medical school (buy this book and re-learn biochem, or else!!) which has set me on edge differently than I have been since we got here. Bueno. Necesito hacer mi tarea.

No comments:

Post a Comment